Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Opportunities are Endless

The thing I love about myself is also the same thing that frustrates me: My passion for things! I feel like I get passionate about things easily... not just passionate but REALLY passionate. I have to learn to hold on to the passion and then wait it out to see if it wears off or it sticks to me. I've always felt like God is preparing me for something big. I have no idea what it is, I just know it has not yet happened. One thing I know for sure that I am passionate about and will always be passionate about is God (well of course) but Psychology.. helping people.. counseling, Social Work, Group therapy... I can't see myself working in any of those capacities long term. Right now I LOVE being a CASA! I feel like it combines counseling with social work while being able to build an authentic transformative relationship with the child. This job is IDEAL and I can see myself being a CASA for an extremely long time. So that's a definite. I have been interested in this helping profession since I was about five or six years old begging my mom to let me go to an orphanage to be with the kids. Well no orphanages in Sacramento led to other things.. But that's where my passion began.

Lately, God has been getting me really passionate about keeping healthy. Eating healthy, living a healthy life and remaining spiritually healthy.. the main thing: The heart. Being passionate about the heart is linked to psychology and helping people. Interesting. I have always been really passionate about yoga and pilates and have taken classes consistently for the past 7 years. I fell in love with my yoga studio in Rocklin so it's been REALLY hard trying out new classes here in Manteca. I almost wonder if people in Manteca REALLY know what GOOD yoga and pilates looks like.. the closest I have come is the pilates classes on the apparatus machines at the gym. Well guess what? The classes are $65/each for one hour! You have got to be kidding me! People actually pay this.. In my search for a GOOD yoga and pilates class from Modesto to Tracy has ended in a GREAT pilates class at the gym once a week. You need to do yoga/pilates at least two times a week if not three times a week to really see results so that's a bummer. And there's a decent place in Tracy with really good rates. But nothing compares to the studio in Rocklin. Tim has been telling me I should teach yoga and in the past six months at every single class I have attended the instructor always comments on how flexible I am... or how I should consider teaching. At first I have laughed at these comments because at the studio in Rocklin I fit right in the middle of the spectrum and here I feel like I am way advanced. I'm convinced it's because the yoga and pilates classes in the area for the most part.. STINK! Anyways, there's a yoga teacher training program at the studio I used to go to in Rocklin!! It starts March and goes until September. It's about one weekend a month.. there's a couple months that it's two weekends.. so I could always stay with friends or at my parent's house on the weekends if I need to do so.. the only problem is that it's really expensive! So now I am wondering if I should consider doing it.. It would only be worth it if I ended up teaching at the end.

So here's my idea: what about a women's wellness center? A place for women to go to become spiritually, physically and mentally healthy? Yoga is GREAT for diagnoses such as depression and anxiety as well as many other disorders. Counseling is great for mental health... that's where the relationship healing comes into play. Massage is great as well.. so a place that offers counseling, massage therapy and yoga therapy. A woman can join to just do the yoga if they choose.. no one has to do all three.. but a place that offers all three. Or maybe just align with a few good counseling centers and get them to refer clients to me for additional therapy as a part of their treatment plan. I am starting to get passionate thinking about this idea. I'm wondering if people would come to the center... if so, does this idea have longevity. It's crazy to think that in life we can do anything.. we really can. I mean think about it, if you want to be a counselor.. go to school.. if you want to be a yoga instructor get your training... the opportunities are endless. I just wonder if this passionate idea will still be with me a year from now.. how do I know this is a longterm passion..? I don't. So I'm just sitting here contemplating things..

Any ideas? Would you go to the wellness center (of course, if it had a good name?!)? Homeopathic healing based on the idea that relaxation, meditation (whatever that means to someone.. just a time of being present) and relationships are vital for healing. God existing at the top... whether this means the counselor is praying silently for their client in session or if the person has a relationship with God. This wouldn't be a Christian place.. it would be a secular place with Christian principles. And of course, we would sell Origin coffee... :) haha

Opportunities really are endless..

No comments:

Post a Comment