Monday, April 11, 2011

First Time for Everything!

Today it happened. And it made me laugh. When I was checking out at the grocery store today the cashier looked at me, scrunched his nose and said "Are you Vegan?" It made me laugh so hard! I have been a vegetarian now for as long as Tim and I have been together but this is the FIRST time someone could tell by looking at the things in my cart! The kale, molasses, vegan mozzarella cheese and coconut milk ice cream gave it away... I'm sure of it. It made me happy... Well, I guess I MAY be on my way to becoming a Vegan after all..

Yesterday after yoga, an instructor's wife made a BUNCH of great Vegan snacks for us to try. I tried meatless meatballs, chickenless nuggets, Vegan sour cream and a few other interesting items for the first time. To my surprise, everything was REALLY delicious! I really believe that we are sooo used to eating certain things that we don't eat anything BUT the things we "normally" eat.

Today, I put nutritional yeast on my popcorn for a snack and it was delicious! It sounds so weird but it gave the popcorn a cheese like flavor. And, I am very excited for my dinner tonight because I made homemade Vegan BBQ sauce to go with our meal. Wow, it's AMAZING! Tonight, I will also be trying/making tofu for the VERY first time. I'm a little apprehensive but I do hope I like it... Later this week, I will be making Vegan enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce. Oooooo.. I am just way too excited about this fun adventure of homemade Vegan dining! :)

As far as snacks go, as I mentioned I loved popcorn with nutritional yeast. I made my own hummus last week.. I will continue to make it every week (it's so much cheaper making it yourself). This week I will also be making homemade kale chips. Basically it's kale with a little extra virgin olive oil and some spices baked in the oven til crispy. Whole Foods sells kale chips but since we don't have one in our area (BOOOOO!!) I will make them myself!

I am still waiting when we go out to eat.. I imagine this is going to be VERY hard which is why for now, I like to call us "At Home Vegans" because I'm not sure how this is going to play out in the restaurant arena.. I am going to try to test it out though just for the the fun of it :) Also, I CANNOT imagine going to Italy and NOT having pizza without cheese and going without Gelato. I know this will be way too hard to resist. So for now.. at home vegans is as far as I'm going.. hehe :)

Happy Eating! :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok - so Im waiting on our dinner invite to test all these things :) Fred said you/Tim had him try some type of bean dip when he was over and it wasn't too bad :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete